Village Visits

Urchfont

We went to Urchfont on Candlemas 2nd February 2006. It was a very cold day. The temperature never exceeded -2 deg C! But we had a very warm welcome in the church which was also warm. Click on this link for one of 3 plans of the Church of St Michael and All Angels. Our guide was Christine Dolan who had help from some of her friends especially in making hot drinks for us all. Christine gave us a Digitally projected slide show showing us many of the houses and other sites in the village.

Later we walked round the village seeing the well and the font after which the village got its name. Then cold but happy we went into what was originally a pig stye for Urchfont Manor house and here we had a talk about the history of the house from Mr Jim Ross a director. He was assisted by John Adams who is an expert on aboriculture and gardening. He showed us round some of the trees.

We then retired for some hot soup and beer and wine at the Lamb Inn.

A really excellent day that was well researched by John Hawkins from Salisbury & District U3A. Thank you John.

Map
Chancel
Pul[it Fall
Millenium Window
Font
Christine Dolan our guide
St Michael's Church
Wreath
Mounting Steps
A Manor House
The Pond with the group
The farm
Millenium Stone
Pond again
Farm again
Guess!
Old house
The old Post Office
The tiled house
Lane on left to the Bottom and Uphill
the Old School
Towards the Bottom
The old Sawmill
Sawmill again
Grosvenor House
A Cottage
Np comment
The Well
A house
By the Font
The Font entrance
The font itself
Through the village
An old shop window
The old shop
A cottage
A row of cottages
More cottages on the Green
A cat slide roof
Another cottage
Cat slide cottage from way into grounds of the Manor
The Manor House
The Manor House
The Manor House looking at the old front
The new front
An old lime tree
The new Post Office and village shop
The Lamb Inn
Outside the Lamb Inn in 1882
Outside the Lamb Inn in 1992
Outside the Lamb Inn in 2006
Outside the Lamb Inn in 2006
The pond from an old photo.
A fork found in the Lamb Inn
The Village Hall c. 1929
Beware