On the march
What a mob!
In one of the shops
Still got Red Poincettias
A stream
The Co-oP
Station Names on the side of the school
Station remains
Chapel - remains of the old church of St Peter
Snowdrops
John Buckett's sad story
Another gravestone
On the wall of the chapel
On the wall of the chapel
The old church
Hugh Saxton our guide in the Chapel
Wall painting
A similar painting
These boards show how you should behave
King George 1st's coat of arms in tthe chapel
Hugh Saxton and members
Off we go again
Dairy Cottages
We still had some snow on 3rd March
The Lions Den [NT]
The course of the railway track. Now the Test Valley Way. The bottom image goes to Totton.
Crossing Common Marsh
The final stretch
St Peter's Church and the Grosvenor Hotel
The Town Hall built 1790 and extended in 1810
The old garage with its old fuel pump

Feeding the ducks and the trout

See also

One of many plaques on the main road
Duck landing Weather vane
Mulberry House
Drovers House on the houghton Road
Lillie Langrty's house
The bridge between LL's and Edward's house

Des Res £1.5M

Once home of Edward VII.

Trout weather vane
Another view of the Des Res
The River Test in its glory

Stockbridge means, literally, a bridge over the river. On a causeway of compressed chalk laid down in the remote past for a crossing of the River Test, Stockbridge is almost midway between Andover to the North and Romsey to the South. The river is shallow and divides here with five streams threading their way through the marshy meadows and under the main road.

There were settlements on Stockbridge Down from at least the second millennium BC; within a short distance are the impressive earthworks at Danebury, Meon Hill and Woolbury. Two ancient roads meet and cross at Stockbridge, one running east to west between Winchester and Old Sarum, later Salisbury, and the other running north and south along the valley of the Test. The prosperity of Stockbridge has always stemmed largely from the roads which pass through it.

The valley here is wide enough to have provided a river crossing since earliest times and a posting station in Roman times on the road from Winchester to Sarum.

The 'town' (actually little more than a single row of buildings on each side of the wide main street) grew in importance when Welsh drovers rested there with their flocks on their way to various sheep fairs and markets in the South East. A thatched cottage known as 'Drovers House' has the message in Welsh painted on the wall: 'Seasoned hay, tasty pastures, good beer, comfortable beds'.

Stockbridge has a 12th century chapel, now known as St Peters, which was served by the 'head-minster' at King's Somborne, as were other chapels in the 'hundred'. Thus, although Stockbridge became a flourishing small borough, which eventually gained parliamentary representation, it never had a parish church of its own until 1848. Its inhabitants were duly christened, married and buried, but in a chapel served from King's Somborne.

An old map of Stockbridge showing the railway bridge, the workhouse site and the Town Hall is also shown [with a very small rectangle].

The old church of St Peter's is also shown.

 

Village Visits

Stockbridge, Hampshire

visited 2nd March 2006

 


 

The Start
The Badge
At the Grosvenor Hotel
Crossing Common Marsh