Visit to Bradford on Avon and Iford Manor Gardens
5th September 2006
A wonderful day was enjoyed by 11 members of this group led by Davida Bull but today also by other members who knew something of Bradford. We began by going to the ancient Saxon church next to Trinity church [shut]. Then we went up by narrow lanes and steps higher and higher up via Middle Rank to St Mary Tory church. Down to Market Street and Dandy Lion pub for an excellent repast washed down with Somersault ale or a Gin and Tonic or two. Thus replete we walked to the Tithe barn along the river bank.
Later we drove to Iford Manor gardens hidden away down some very narrow lanes. But it was worth it for the magnificent Italianate gardens made by Harold Peto from 1899. He was an architect and was able to utilise his collection of antique stone fragments.
Click here to see about 60 photos taken on that day.